Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Volleyball Cold

Another 3 game week which is draining for the girls. Started out on a good foot in our non-league match against South Whidbey Island. Now, SW came in 0-2 and looked small to me, so rather than worry about them, I let my mind wander back to days of weekend trysts on their fair island, because if you've never visited, South Whidbey Island is very cool and I highly recommend going there for your OWN fun time. Here is some more info: http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/puget/Whidbey/whidbey_island.htm

Anyway....Maddie began her night by putting over 11 unanswered serves and I began making plans to get home in time for the second half of the Monday Night game...when all of a sudden those pesky islanders began playing excellent defense as we lobbed and dinked balls across the net at an alarming rate. No wind 'em up, smash'em hitters on our team...just lots of easy, quiet bloinks and floaters. So they came back, especially as girl after girl served into the net. I believe Maddie was about 30-30 on her serves, but I digress. They lost game 2, but came back to win game 3 and I began breathing a little easier. Then another loss in Game 4. To these scrappy, defense playing visitors! The horror. So on it went to Game 5 with Maddie playing all around in the 5-1 because SS (sophomore setter) was out. Back and forth and by this time my night is wrecked because we should have beat this team 3-0. And it finishes up with a Kang victory (on a well placed dink) and some of the acid beginning to pile up in my gut went away and and I philosophized....a win is a win, a win is a win....right. We looked sloppy and bored and we almost got beat.

Tuesday dawned bright and early with the news that Maddie didn't feel good. That is always worrisome because Maddie is not herself when she's sick. She succumbs to it rather than battle it. As competitive fathers who have grown up watching Michael Jordan score 50 points while he had the flu will do, I tried to impart the wisdom of my years. "SUCK IT UP; THIS DEFINES YOU. YOUR TEAM NEEDS YOU. Yeah. That didn't work. Maddie was a scratch against Mt. Si. I was disappointed. You quit when you break something, not when you have a cold. Times are different than when I grew up, I guess. Now without both varsity setters, they turned to a capable freshman who actually led them to victory in Game 1, and within 2 of a victory in Game 3...but the #1 team in the state (while not playing like it) took us, 3 games to 1. I have visions of Maddie getting Cal Ripkened here. Anyway, hope she's back for Interlake on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add some stories of your own!